For the upcoming GameStage (15th/16 of November) here in Linz @f0lis and I will host another indie games corner. Our game list isn’t final yet but DoomRL, SuperHot and Grand Titons for Friday and Botanicula for Saturday are among our fine selection.
A fun fact about APRI50 is that it was started in April and uses four year old code (linked below). Yes, the whole central DNA madness is code I wrote back then and since only translated into Lua.
The evolution kits in APRI50 do each have a DNA string made up by the letters ACGT. For every kit a set of properties is calculated by comparing a matcher string, made up the same letters ACGT and spaces for places that don’t count against a score for this property.
kit1: TTTC AAAG
kit2: AACG TACC
strength: .TT. AC..
size: CG.. ...C
So for every property APRI50 does compare the string place by place and if they do match the final score is incremented. In the example above kit1 would get 3 points for strength and 0 for size while kit2 will get 0 for strength and 1 for strength.
This model has a few advantages:
First of all, the strings are easy to exchange, in the game they are currently 16 characters long, shorter than most license keys are
Secondly new properties can be added without having to change the DNA strings of the objects.
Thirdly properties can be contrasting or accompaning each other, something that is Explosive would also have a high score on Energy.
Here’s a screenshot from an early debug view which calculates scores for DNA strings. Can you guess what the matchers for the properties are?
Oh what a wonderful name for a board game: Valley of a Thousand Flowers. A buddy and I participated in a game jam during the Ars Electronica Festival and unlike the other teams we didn’t make a Video Game, didn’t struggle with tools (except crayons and scissors), didn’t fear the all-mighty deadline creeping up on us. This was my easiest 1gam this year.
Seriously: Take a break from making video games, work out a simple board game and play with out friends for a few days until you feel the game is polished enough.
Check out the game, the rules should give you an idea of how strategic the game can be after a few round and maybe cut out those hexagons and play it. You gonna love it.
I was at Rezzed last weekend and took part in the gamejam on Saturday. Unlike the others we were a team of random people but managed to make quite a good game called We Jammin’. A finish screen is missing and some bugs are hilarious but it is solid for a single day. Sadly I cought a cold during the day (we were in a drafty place and listening to a Prison Architect video all day didn’t help either) so I missed out on Sunday and the big presentation of all five games.
Originally started as my #1GAM for April it looks like APRI50 will be released out in July.
The devlog did get a lot of updates this week, from more engine work, better terraforming to icons. I also started to port mapgen2 to Lua, in hope for a more exctiing maps like the one below. Squares are for squares, I want to go polygons.
Benedict’s blog (@Dev_Hopps) has some issues with accepting comments so I dump my comment in here.
High Five for making a version 2. I did that in April with a game I made two years earlier. Nothing better than showing how much your skills have improved since.
Re dev diary, I’m finally in the habit of posting whatever interesting stuff I just created. With LiceCap I can easily create an animated gif and not spend 10 minutes on a youtube video that gets only 50 views (still a lot). Try it out, you’ll have to streamline your publishing workflow but it’s totally worth it. I got it so much streamlined, mailchimp is taking my RSS feed and makes a weekly newsletter. All without my doings.
Now throw all those .it files into VLC which is pretty okay to listen to them, you can even change the audio speed but it won’t sound as good as in a proper modtracker. That’s what you need for the last step, open the files you like in your modtracker (I use Schism), change the bpm and speed to match your game’s tempo better and export as wav, mp3 or whatever the tracker is capable of.
Here’s one of the tracks I generated with this method.